Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Patriots blog: Moss hung up on Packers' hang-ups

By DAVID BROWN
Standard-Times staff writer

SCOTSDALE, Ariz. — You’re probably aware that the Patriots are in the Super Bowl and the Green Bay Packers are not.

You may also be aware that New England acquired Randy Moss after the Packers failed to complete a deal for the former Oakland receiver.

Speaking this morning at the team hotel, Moss explained that the deal that brought him to New England, where he caught an NFL-record 23 touchdowns this season, was made possible by some attitude the Packers gave him when they were trying to work out a contract with Moss and a trade with the Raiders.

“They were telling me that they were going to somewhat take a chance on me,” Moss said. “But if you do come here, these are the things that you have to watch out for and be on your best behavior, and Donald Driver’s the top receiver here, so don’t come here trying to step on his toes, and I didn’t think that was right.”

Even though Packers quarterback Brett Favre was lobbying hard for Green Bay to acquire Moss, the receiver said he was turned off by the team’s approach.

“The Packers were really talking a lot about the wrong things and not the right things,” Moss said. “And when they started talking more about the wrong things, I just hung up the phone and didn’t want to talk to them any more. … I think Brett wanted me I don’t think the Packers organization really wanted me."

Contact David Brown at dbrown@s-t.com

No comments: